Eating with braces can be tricky. At HGS Ortho, we want to ensure our patients get the information they need when it comes to eating with braces.
The first thing that people with braces should know is that taking care of your braces is especially important. Be sure to take proper care of your braces because if any section of your braces come apart, this could affect the orthodontic treatment. Your teeth may move in the wrong direction and you’ll have to have a long appointment to get all the necessary fixes.
Protect your braces by keeping an eye on the sort of food you’re eating. Here’s a great list of foods that you should avoid if you have braces for a happy orthodontic treatment:
- Hard fruits and vegetable such as apples and carrots
- Any kind of nut or snack containing nuts
- Corn of any kind: on the cob, popcorn, etc.
- Bagels, pretzels, and pizza
- Foods that are likely to stick to your braces such as candy, chewing gum and jerky
As well, don’t chew on pencils or fingernails and be sure to brush and floss regularly to avoid cavities and gum disease. Please contact HGS Ortho in Richmond or Port Coquitlam if you have any questions!