Orthodontic emergencies with your braces are generally uncommon. However, if they happen, our team of oral health care professionals at HGS Ortho in Richmond and Port Coquitlam can help you deal with any problems regarding your braces. Contact us as soon as possible and book an appointment.
Until your appointment, you can temporarily fix the problem yourself. Here’s what you can do if:
- Your Wire Is Poking You– Push the wire down with something soft like a pencil eraser or place wax on it to minimize your discomfort.
- Your Bracket or Band Gets Loose – If your bracket or band is still clinging onto the wire, keep it in its place, and place wax on it. If the wire falls out completely, keep it in a tissue and bring it to your appointment.
- A Wire Gets Loose – Using tweezers, secure your wire back into place. If you use wax but it doesn’t help, cut the wire with nail clippers. If you’re still uncomfortable, put wax on it.
- An Appliance Gets Loose – If your appliance pokes you, cover it with wax.
- You have Fussy Headgear – Read instructions about your headgear carefully. The face-bow can get bent, and if this happens, call our Richmond or Port Coquitlam offices.
- You have a Sore Mouth – Braces can cause pain when they’re first put on for a few days. A warm salt water rinse should alleviate your pain but if it doesn’t, a painkiller might help.