It is a common question in online forums as busy patients find it hard to follow dentists’ advice of brushing more when having braces on. With my 40+ years experience as an orthodontist, I usually recommend brushing teeth after every major meal when having braces. Following is the recommended practice:
- Brush after every meal
- Brush once every morning and before bed
- Floss once before going to sleep
For busy lifestyles, this can be reduces to 3-4 times a day. You can easily get used to brushing once in the afternoon. And once in the morning, once in the evening, and once before going to bed.
The logic behind excessive brushing when having braces is because the teeth get messier when having braces for the following reasons.
- Food stuck can decay teeth. Food usually gets stuck inside the braces – you wouldn’t believe how much food gets stuck and this can decay the teeth.
- Food stuck inside braces creates a bad smell
- It feels yucky when certain food are stuck inside for longer periods
What if i can’t brush that often?
For even busy lifestyles you can limit to 2 times a day but should try to brush as much as possible. And try to be diligent by washing your mouth, cleaning braces whenever you get time. By doing this you can keep your teeth clean.
Want to get braces to improve your bite and smile? Call our offices in Coquitlam and Richmond by dialing 604.464.2527.